Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lisa...get to work!

This whole job application process has renewed so many feelings I had during my undergrad years. I have never been the most enthusiastic, prolific writer yet for some crazy reason I decided to be an English major. Even though I pumped out 3-6 page papers multiple times each week, getting started on each of them was always a chore. I would stare at the computer screen, check my email, tell myself that I'd start after I had a snack, enjoy a "cat nap" that lasted all day, pretty much anything to stall. Once I got going, it was usually okay. I would get on a roll and work for hours. It's the starting point that is most difficult for me.

For about two weeks I have put off filling out job applications and working on my portfolio. I have used each and every tactic listed above, plus a few new ones. Well, today is the day. All week I have kept my schedule clear for today so that I can actually get some more applications submitted and create an impressionable portfolio. It is now 11:17am. I have already finished listening to my audio book, showered, had a snack, made coffee, watched TV, walked aimlessly around the apartment, and called my hubby twice. I have pulled my "Get A Job" binder out of the cabinet, checked my email, and flipped through some portfolio packets from the U of M. I have been stalling for two hours and REALLY need to get some work done. So, instead, I'm sitting here writing about how much I'm stalling (see, I'm even stalling now!).

Really, though, why is starting so difficult? What is it about getting going on some project or paper that is so intimidating? Why does the whole stalling tactic seem so silly once I get working?

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I thought that was the reason we had blogs, and lol cats, in the first place.

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

I can relate. I was just thinking about the stalling/"oh that was easy" tactic yesterday. For me it is cleaning the bathroom. It has always been easier and faster than I think. Also dishes, returning calls and watering the lawn. I have found however that folding towels still sucks and takes forever when you stall and start it 'later'.